Tue 29 Nov 2011
By Julie Sherwood, staff writer
Posted Nov 28, 2011
In 1874, Cheshire residents Lou and Carrie Johnson built a theater in the heart of their Canandaigua hamlet. For nearly a century, what became known as the Cheshire Grange on Route 21 was a hub for locals and a draw for visitors, whether for musicals and dramas, dinners and dances, or meetings and special events.
By 1970, the building was privately owned, and most people figured its heyday as a community asset was long in its past.